[crossfire] Attribution for patches

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jun 26 02:39:43 CDT 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
>> Everything I know of, is attributed in the cvs commit comments, however
>> I am not sure he is aware of them or considers them proper attribution.
>
> There are AFAIK 4 patches on the tracker (closed, by elmex), and they all got
> (what i deem) proper attribution in the Changelog ("courtesy CF+ development
> team" or equivalent).

  Which IMO is fine (and in fact, I just did something like this).

  I suppose what they could be wanting is that in the code itself (where the
patch/change is located) to have an attribution (fix to prevent crashing here
courtesy of schmorp).

  That has never been the practice in crossfire before (there are some places
that sort of happens, but more to describe the behavior of the code, and the
author of the change put their name in place).

  I personally think the code would become very cluttered with comments if this
is done.  And then you get the case that the attribution itself is bigger than
the change itself.  Some number of bugs are single line fixes (or a
variable/value within the line) - to include attribution for those types of
changes seems silly.