[crossfire] Ideas needed to fix exploit

Andreas Kirschbaum kirschbaum at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 7 15:44:22 CST 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
> Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:
> >  b) Reward a (pk) with MIN(5 million, (exp loss of victim)/10).
> >
> >     I'm not sure if that really is a good idea since it probably creates
> >     another exploit: kill a player with some hard to train skill and gain
> >     lots of exp in that skill.
>
> I'm not sure I follow that logic - it doesn't seem to be any worse than now.
>
> If I can (hypothetically) kill someone with bad singing, that change above
> doesn't make things any easier or harder. I won't get any more exp than I did
> before that change, and will likely get less. If the player being killed is
> down to having only permanent exp left (thus doesn't lose anything), I gain
> no exp.

The problem I see is that the current code calls calc_skill_exp() which
probably returns a quite different value than the exp loss of the victim. Thus
it may be possible to find a hard to train skill (which gives very few exp from
calc_skill_exp()) which now gives lots of exp due to a huge exp loss of the
victim.

That said, the exploit would be to train a throw-away character with easily
trainable skills, then kill it with the "real" character and with a hard to
train skill. The result is that the "real" character gains lots of exp in the
otherwise hard to train skill.