[crossfire] Ideas needed to fix exploit

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 8 00:53:26 CST 2006

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:
> Mike Wendell wrote:
>> Why not just allow the experience as a one time deal? After they kill
>> that one other player one time, they don't get any more experience
>> from them doing it again?
>
> When do you want to reset this flag? If it is reset after a fixed time
> period, how does a player know when he would gain exp again? If it is
> reset after some exp gain, it probably can be easily circumvented.
>
> Or does it never reset, and the victim and/or attacker accumulates
> pk-forces? (Which probably could be interesting for DMs to be able to
> check the pk-history of a player...)

  If it is permanent, I'd probably suggest using just a single 'PK' force and
subvert the msg field to contain the kill list, like <name>:<kills> or something.

  that could be interesting on a PK server for even the players to see that.

  Since PKing is a relative infrequent event (even on PK happy servers I'm sure
it is compared to monsters being killed) the time to process that probably isn't
that bad.

  I do remember I think it was moria that would track how many of the different
types of creatures you kill, and based on that number, you could get more info
on the creatures themselves.  While interesting, probably a bit overkill for
crossfire.