[crossfire] Protocol & compression. (tchize)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 29 01:02:11 CST 2006

Daniel Daxler wrote:
> Just thought I would mention this super fast compression and decompression,
> that I have had good experience with (over modem line).
> http://www.lzop.org/
>
> Or the mini-version miniLZO.
> http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/#download
>
> I believe the sever cannot spend much time to compress, and response time
> for the user is essential here.
>
> Faster is better than better compression ratio. (Apart from total map pre
> zipped package.)

  One reason I'm keen on zlib is because it is standardized.

  This is especially true because the png library requires zlib.  So if you are
going to compile the client, you must have zlib installed - this does not add a
new dependency.

  Given that compression will, at least for the time being, be optional,
choosing a library that many people might not have installed may not be the most
useful.