[crossfire] server commit for map2 support.

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu May 18 17:39:25 CDT 2006

>   I just committed the code that adds the map2 protocol command to the
> server. I played around with it quite a bit and didn't notice anything odd.

Great!
Thanks for the work :)

>   One of the main reasons for doing this is that one of the problems with
> the old client is objects shifting layers - this caused more a problem with
> big images and whether they should or should not be erased.

Yes, those issues aren't fun to handle, I remember many bugs over this :)
Now maybe we'll be able to merge all archetype image parts into one big image,
finally!

>   The one problem with doing so is that clients not using the map2 protocol
> won't see these objects being animated anymore.  My personal thought is
> that this isn't that big a deal - the animation of these objects is more
> window dressing than anything important, and also if people do care,
> perhaps that would speed them up to updating their client.

Maybe we could have a transitional period, like a few months with still the
speed, to let clients be upgraded?

My 2 cents of €

Nicolas