[crossfire] server commit for map2 support.

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu May 18 22:44:45 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:

><snip>
>
>2) the map2 has support for 10 layers.  However, compared to the old 3 layer
>method where it tried to find something to fill each of those 3 layers,
>different layers are well defined to hold specific data (objects, monsters,
>etc).  So you will probably never see all 10 layers filled with something at the
>same time.  But you can pretty easily see 5 or 6 layers filled (stand on floor
>with a sign, drop 3 objects, and have someone cast a spell over you :)
>
>  One of the main reasons for doing this is that one of the problems with the
>old client is objects shifting layers - this caused more a problem with big
>images and whether they should or should not be erased.

I'm a bit concerned about this. I'm not sure that simply adding more
layers is the real fix to the objects shifting layers, simply a
workaround. I'm not completely sure what the proper fix would be though,
however perhaps a proper fix would be arbitrary layering, not limited
except by how many a server is configured to send and limits on some
variables. A possible implementation of "arbitrary layering" would be by
sending the layer as <majorlayer><minorlayer> where each is an <either 4
or 8, not sure> bit signed value. The server would allocate by
majorlayer starting at 0, to insert below majorlayer 0, it goes into the
negatives, above into the positives, and for in between two already
allocated layers, it starts using the minorlayer values like a decimal
place.
Please note, I don't endorse my particular proposal of "arbitrary
layering", but that some form of "arbitrary layering" would be the
proper fix to the above problem.

Alex Schultz