[crossfire] New layer code bug :)

Wim Villerius wim-cf at villerius.nl
Wed May 24 02:44:18 CDT 2006

>  Would be interested in more details on that, especially if you can get a
> reproducible test case.
Not exactly the case Nicolas describes, but try the following: cast
counterwall and walk in it. You'll see yourself disappearing. (This
works for any spell I've seen)
Or find a pile of treasure and step in it, you'll likely have to search
for yourself :)

> > Second, traps seem to appear above player
> I'm presuming this happens when you are searching for traps?
I guess so as wel. (AFAIK it is the only way to be on a tile with a
trap!)

> > Third, some items appear above player (see screenshot)
> I'm taking it those were levitation boots? If so, that makes some sense, but
> isn't correctly visually - I think I'll have to do the change I suggest
> elsewhere where objects can specify what layer they want to be drawn on,
> basically overriding the mechanism use in the update_position code.
Not only levitation boots, but the Feather Crown (Neurmberg Receiption
towers), diamonds and rubies as well (but not emeralds and sapphires).
Pearls are different matter. They won't hide the player when there are
only pearls, but they will in a big pile with other items.
You cannot simply reproduce this effect by staying on a pile of
diamonds/rubies - and what i'm saying now contradicts a few lines above
- but if there are several 'diamonds' (not big ones) that won't stack,
they will hide you. Same applied for rubies and even flowers. I guess
these items are identical, but I cannot check that, I'm not a DM on
Metalforge ;)

Perhaps the player should be drawn in one of the highest layers? (such
that they remain visible in a pile of treasure as well as in spell
effects)