[crossfire] RFC: dynamic alchemy

Raphaël Quinet quinet at gamers.org
Wed May 24 06:17:49 CDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006 23:56:52 +0200, "Nicolas Weeger (Laposte)" <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net> wrote:
> For many formulaes I find the ingredients way too hard to find as compared to
> finding the equivalent item.

I agree.  The only exceptions are the "water of the wise" that are easy to
create, especially when purchasing water bottles from the converter in the
alchemy shop.  It is also easy to find the ingredients for the "water of
diamond/emerald/ruby/saphire" and the "mushroom of Gourmet".  But beyond
these simple things, the cost/benefit ratio of alchemy is just too bad.

> I'll grant you that potions will work everywhere, as opposed to scrolls/spells
> on cursed/non magic squares. But still, for instance balm of first aid is way
> too hard to do, for a few hitpoints restored!
> (as a side note: shouldn't the balm of flying [word of recall] work whether
> square is cursed or not, like other balms?)

Isn't that the "balm of return home"?  Anyway, I haven't checked but I
suspect that the spell is cast when you apply the balm but it fails later
when you should be teleported back home (like when you invoke word of recall
just before entering a cursed area).

Anyway, the cursed squares are a separate issue: I think that too many maps
have cursed/no magic areas without giving appropriate clues/warnings to the
player.  Some of them are there for historical reasons and could probably be
removed or replaced by something else.  This would deserve a separate
discussion.

> As for finding formulas, I'd say your idea of alchemists could be interesting,
> but shouldn't require combat or such - maybe finding ingredients, or rare
> items?

Acquiring some of the ingredients may involve some kind of combat.  If the
alchemist asks you for a chinese dragon's heart or even some simple orc chops,
I don't think that you can find them easily without fighting.

Currently, the easier quests ask for ingredients that are not too hard to find.
Some of them may not even require combat.  For example, collecting some flowers
or mushrooms.  Although they are hard to find inside the cities, they can be
found easily in some random maps where they are just waiting to be picked up.
The quest gives you some hints about where you might find these ingredients but
since they are generic objects you are free to bring them from some other place
or even buy them in shops.

The more difficult quests (I have only one currently but I am planning for some
others) give you access to more interesting formulas.  They also require
ingredients that are more difficult to find and always require some combat.
For these quests, the alchemist (or bowyer, etc.) will ask you to bring him
some dread's eyes, lich dusts, etc.  Or maybe even more specific items such as
blue dragons' steaks or other objects that can only be found in a few places.

-Raphaël