[crossfire] [Gridarta-devel] Gridarta concerns [was: IRC traffic for Sunday Oct 22]

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu Nov 2 20:22:32 CST 2006

Christian Hujer wrote:
> <snip>
>> It *is* a very fast
>> interface to use, however I personally find it too error prone and also
>> could be easier for new users. I personally would advocate an interface
>> more like this:
>>     -Have a 'tool palette', and allow right, middle and left mouse
>> buttons to have separate palette modes assigned to each at once.
>>
> In gridarta4daimonin we have this already. It will be merged. I've added this
> to the todo list.
> <snip>

Nice. Interesting to hear that gridarta4daimonin already has this,
because I've never heard of an app that implemented a tool palette with
each button selecting a different tool. Well... unless one counts GIMP's
extended input (drawing tablet) support that is. :)
I guess that's a sign it's a good idea when it's been independently
thought of few times :P
> <snip>
>>     -Key bindings with the following defaults:
>>           -Delete key deletes objects (something I wish for regardless
>> of if this interface is done or not)
>>           -Space bar inserts the selected object on the selected tile
>>           -Arrow keys move selection
>>
> Good ideas. In Gridarta, nearly full keyboard control is possible. The cursor
> and the selection can be changed using arrow keys. Though, space bar isn't
> for insertion right now but for selection iirc. I'd rather use "i", "ctrl+i"
> and the insert key for insertion.

Space bar was an idea I was a little unsure of ;) I just said that
because it would be really easy to go around with the space bar and
arrow keys to spew many identical tiles around the map. Yes, I would
like those options you suggest better than the space bar when I think it
through more.

> Maybe we could find a good approach that makes life for GUI users easier as
> well as life for vi users easier (hjkl for movement, i for instert, r for
> replace, x or d for delete, 2+3x for deleting a 2x3 rect ;-)

Well, IMHO if we want to include something like a vi-like keybindings,
it would probably be a good idea to make multiple keyboard profiles
included in a default set. ;)

> <snip>
> The ideal situation would be that both, SF and Mantis, have a web service
> interface, allow configurable triggers and support asynchronuous messaging.
> That way, all updates to one bug tracker could automatically be copied to the
> other. Alas, neither of them supports just a single of the required features.

Well... in theory one could make a fancy script that reads the mail
generated by both SF and Mantis, then checks the page, and automatically
submits to the other... Of course that would be difficult to get 100%
stable, but if we have to live with multiple parallel issue trackers for
long enough, it might be worth doing.

> <snip>
> * All that I don't know is whether the crossfire community still wants to use
> the crossfire bugtracker for Java editor bugs. I admit I didn't care about
> this issue myself but relied on Ragnor taking care of that.
> <snip>
Well, the cf sf.net bugtracker was never really used for Java editor
bugs much in the past, so no reason to continue using it so far as I can
see. Personally I would say that section of the cf bugtracker might as
well be removed, except that I don't think (silly) sf.net allows that,
so I guess the best that could be done with that would be making the
description for that section say to go to the gridarta tracker.

Alex Schultz