[crossfire] Documentation / wiki

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu Nov 16 16:24:48 CST 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
> What would you think of writing the documentation on the Crossfire wiki
> (http://wiki.metalforge.net) then exporting it to revelant files?
>
> Having everything on the wiki makes sense imo, and it's easier to fix doc - no
> need to get SVN first.

IMHO this is a good idea. Also, there are already some documentation
files that have been put into the wiki and formatted to match it.
Another thought, is I think that we should consider using a separate
wiki namespace for documentation that is meant for exporting to the
server and/or client source tree.

> I'm pretty sure doing a text export isn't too hard, and maybe we could
> generate some PDF too if required. The process could even be automatized.

This could work, though one note is if we want to do a really good job
of text export, we will have to do little things such as parse bulleted
sections, and perhaps even do automatic section/chapter numbering based
on wiki headers (things like section 6.2.1 for things in the 6th
non-title top level header, within the second second-level header within
that, and the first third-level header within that. Not a hard thing to
code parsing to generate, but does require a bit of smartness in the
coding :))

Alex Schultz