[crossfire] Documentation / wiki

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Nov 18 23:47:45 CST 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:

>> We could also do html docs. For that we could just to a slightly
>> modified subclass of the xhtml renderer that dokuwiki uses anyways (make
>> sure it doesn't do things that arn't friendly to static html docs. Make
>> sure link paths work for it.).
>
> or PDF files, too, maybe? shouldn't be too hard i'm sure ;)

  I wonder how many people actually print out any of the crossfire docs - which
is also a valid question regarding the existence of postcript files.

  As I thought about the docs some more, I did think that some general re-org,
perhaps for 2.0, should perhaps be done:

1) Remove any old documentation that is no longer applicable - what is describes
has been superseded or replaced by new features. (I'd tend to bet that there is
some in the server distribution that falls in this category)

2) Move documentation that is aimed towards the player into the client
directory, and ideally, integrate it as part of a help system in the client.
Having docs about character creation in the server area doesn't make a lot of sense

3) Clean up the documentation that does exist - in many cases, different pieces
of something are described in multiple files.

4) Clean up the naming scheme of the different files.  Looking in the doc
directory, it is clear there is no standard on capitalization of file names,
suffixes (some have a .doc but are not word files, etc).  And while the
Developers directory was created a long time back, there is a lot of stuff in
the doc directory which is clearly aimed only at developers and should be moved
there.

5) Maybe some of the docs should only live on the web (with backup copies)?  I
don't have a great example, but there are certainly a lot of docs that currently
only exist on the web.

6) I really like the idea of going to HTML docs - it is pretty much univerally
readable, yet is also simple to generated.  To me, the biggest bonus is the
ability to hyperlink - that could help out point #3 above (link from one doc to
another).  The other thing is that would help to actually have a table of
contents so you might actually be able to find the relevant documents, where as
now, grep seems to be the most likely.

  Regarding point #2 and #4, a layout that may make sense:

server:
doc/Manpages/: the man pages for the different programs

doc/Developers/: Information for actual programming aspects of the game.

doc/Admin/: (maybe a better name) - docs for the server admin about setting up
and running the server, perhaps touches on changes to config files, etc

doc/MapMakers/: Information for making maps - files in here would also describe
the archetype and treasure list information (since that is all related), how to
add new archetypes of existing type (like adding a new sword - not about adding
new archetypes that require code support).  Files here would also describe any
special meaning for certain archetypes, etc.  It may be reasonable to this to
instead be in the maps area, but since a map maker really needs their own server
to test the maps, it may not be unreasonable to keep it here.

client:
doc/: Information that is useful to the player - how to create character, how to
interact in the game world, the spell information (but that should really be
moved into the archetypes itself where possible, but there are some broader
concepts that don't really fit in there).  Hints on playing the game.  And as
said, it would be nice to integrate this into a client help system within the
client.