[crossfire] Documentation / wiki

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Nov 20 01:40:35 CST 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
>>   I wonder how many people actually print out any of the crossfire docs -
>> which is also a valid question regarding the existence of postcript files.
>
> I'd say as long as it isn't too hard to generate them, let's generate them -
> worse case, no one will use it :)

  The problem for the postscript ones we have right now is that the base
information is latex.

  So for things like the spoiler and playbook, there are two copies of basically
the same data but with different formatting commands.  What this means is that
if you go and update the html version, you then need to manually update the tex
versions, so this is some extra effort.  I also don't know if that may scare
some people away (I know how to update the html, but no idea on that latex
stuff, so I just won't even try)

  IF no one is using the tex versions, there really isn't much point in keeping
them around an using the double update method..

>> doc/MapMakers/: Information for making maps - files in here would also
>> describe the archetype and treasure list information (since that is all
>> related), how to add new archetypes of existing type (like adding a new
>> sword - not about adding new archetypes that require code support).  Files
>> here would also describe any special meaning for certain archetypes, etc.
>> It may be reasonable to this to instead be in the maps area, but since a
>> map maker really needs their own server to test the maps, it may not be
>> unreasonable to keep it here.
>
> Doesn't SVN support the concept of soft-linked files? I mean the same contents
> under 2 names? If so we could simply put relevant files in both trees.

You can have external references (basically soft links) to other directories,
but not files.

  So if we want to have a copy of that directory in other trees, you can do
that.  But you can't say 'I only want file foo', unless foo is the only file in
a directory..

  Its pretty clear that is a good thing in terms of trying to keep your
repository consistent - if you had files in a single directory from different
repositories, you could almost be sure that things would break.