[crossfire] msg/endmsg in maps/objects

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 9 02:03:52 CDT 2006

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:
>
>> Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
>
> BTW, not sure what "proper wrapping" means.  In gcfclient, it mercilessly
> chops the text to fit the window.  Word boundaries are not honored.

  The gtk2 client handles word wrapping properly.

> It turns out, blank lines are stripped.  I don't know how to add blank
> lines.  This is can be problematic when you use split windows because, for
> example, if you walk down the main drag in scorn reading all the signs, all
> the output is just strung in sequence with no separation between signs or
> headings.  It is pretty hard to scroll back and see what happened, and,
> it is hard for any given message to be well formatted so that paragraphs
> are separated nicely.
>
> Does anyone know how to output a blank line in message text?  I tried
> \n, but it does not seem to work.

  The gtk2 client seems to also handle this just fine.

  I'm not positive where the issue is in the gtk client.  I know for the word
wrapping, it is left to the widget to do the wrapping, and it instead just chops
the lines - I'd think that there is probably an option there someplace to have
it wrap, but it is also using a deprecated (relative to gtk 2.0) widget.

> mediaTags seem to be of limited usefulness, or are broken.  The following
> DOES NOT work...  The tags are output as text, at least in the GTK 1 client.
> The tags appear to be applicable only for cases where server code writes
> to the client, but not when that text is extracted from an arch msg block.

  I'm in the process of updating all the code in the server to do the right
thing in this regard.