[crossfire] Buffer flooding (was: Improved/redone client.)

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Mon Oct 9 09:16:20 CDT 2006

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Additionally, without knowing the underlying infrastructure, it is hard to know if the
> following is practical or not.  I think all clients suffer from buffer flooding.  I think it
> would be exceptionally profitable to have an ability to flush the command buffer
> or to escalate the priority of certain "emergency" bindings.  I don't know how many
> times I have helplessly watched as my character died because the buffer was
> flooded and there was nothing to be done except stop and hope you don't die
> before it emptied.
To my understanding, buffer flooding occurs on the server side, not the
client side.
One simple fix could be done client side however; One could make the
client ignore key-repeats, getting rid of the command buffer issues
caused by holding the key down. When using crossfire, I can't think of a
time I actually make use of key repeating (using running for example
doesn't rely on key repeating, just on holding the run key down)

Also, IMHO the command buffer needs some redoing anyways: Paralysis is
currently implemented simply as not processing the command buffer, with
which I believe there are a few issues. For one, I believe it would make
sense for some types of commands such as communication commands,
possibly other than say, to ignore paralysis. Also, it might be a good
idea to instead of buffer actions while paralyzed, to just ignore them.

Alex Schultz