[crossfire] Crossfire protocol cleanup

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:33:04 CDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
> - May not be able to use a 2.0 client to play on an older server (depends on how
> old, and what protocol commands to use).  Could still use the 1.x clients of course.

Might I suggest then, that when the 2.0 protocol changes are (vaguey)
finalised, a version of the 1.x server be released which understands a
2.x version number and acts as though all of the appropriate setup
flags were set (without adding any of the new features), and also is
aware of any new commands that can be sent to it, but merely ignores
them (with suitable draw_info-ed error messages). That way it should
be possible to have a compatibility upgrade to the server allowing
both sets of clients to work for however long it would be until most
distros have upgraded the versions they ship.