[crossfire] SVN revions in version

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:15:08 CDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Alex Schultz <alex_sch at telus.net> wrote:
> A few times, tracking the svn revision instead of the $Id strings has
> been brought up. IMHO this should be done, both in the client and
> server. I propose we implement it as follows in both:

> This version would both be used in the client for outputing to the
> console instead of the rcs-id values, and the server will use this
> version for reporting to the metaserver as well as console output. Does
> this model make sense to everyone?

I'm not sure it is such a great idea to send the revision number to
the metaserver, certainly not if the metaserver is going to push that
information out to clients, in that case, someone who wished to be
annoying could look for servers with revisions predating certain bug
fixes or balance tweaks and abuse or exploit them.

If you are talking about sending the revision as a seperate field to
the metaserver, that isn't for propagation to clients. then that is a
different issue altogether, and could provide useful information about
things like how quickly updates are made available in practice.

Likewise, although the clients need only open a connection to the
metaserver to recieve the server list, having the official clients
send their revision numbers by default would give some indication as
to which versions of the clients are in use. (assuming the metaserver
were suitably modified to read that information from the socket).