[crossfire] SVN revions in version

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 15 23:30:36 CDT 2006

Alex Schultz wrote:
> Brendan Lally wrote:
>> I'm not sure it is such a great idea to send the revision number to
>> the metaserver, certainly not if the metaserver is going to push that
>> information out to clients, in that case, someone who wished to be
>> annoying could look for servers with revisions predating certain bug
>> fixes or balance tweaks and abuse or exploit them.
> Hmm, well I guess that is somewhat of an issue. What about having
> ./configure time option to make it very easy for server admins to decide
> if they want the revision number included in the version string sent to
> the metaserver?

  It should be a settings option, not a configure option.  Putting it in the
settings makes it a lot easier all around.

  configure options should really only be used for things that need a recompile
to take affect (libraries, compiled in options, etc).  It shouldn't be used for
things that are easy to control at run time.

  It would also be pretty annoying to loose such a change because you re-run
configure without specifying all the same options.