[crossfire] Improved/redone client.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 16 02:08:54 CDT 2006

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

> I have been giving this extra thought lately, and fired up the gtk2 client.  I
> have to say I do not agree with the statement that the clients are too geeky,
> but then again, I score high on nerd tests too.  At first I thought the gtk2
> client tabbed information was cool, but, I still go back to the gtk1 client, again
> because I can see everything.  The fact is, the more information you have
> at the ready, the better you can shoot the bogey's down.  There really is no
> other way to do battle effectively.  The resistances might qualify for hiding,
> but even they help remind you who not to go up against without checking
> equipment.  Maybe if you are high-level,  you never look at those things, but
> I would not find crossfire nearly as fun without the "geek factor" of the GTK1
> client.  Every time I try the GTK2 client I get frustrated at how much is not
> on screen.

  That may illustrate some of the problem however.

  I suspect that if we did a widescale pool, we'd get following results:
Everyone would agree that some elements should always be displayed (hp, sp, some
others).
A mixture of people agreeing what other things should always be displayed.  Some
would say that ABC should always be displayed, but I don't need DEF.  Other
saying I really like DEF, but don't care about GHI, etc.  And you'll get
different input on how that data should be displayed.

  For example, in the gtk1 client, things like skills and protections are in
scrolled windows - some people may find that annoying, etc.

  I think the best we can hope for is a try to get something that most people
would agree on.  I don't think we can ever get anything that everyone would
agree on (and probably, even in the case of the current clients, everyone has
something they'd like done slightly differently).