[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 16:06:56 CDT 2006

Sorry if I sound too derisive of hg; it's a great system.  I'm just too
drunk to be nice.

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:58:38 -0600, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
>> - Poor support for file renaming and moving; this mean merging my pupland
>> work wouldn't be any bit less painful on hg than cvs.  Can't be solved by
>> extensions.
>>
> Well, it would remember the history, which is a step up from cvs, but
> indeed it doesn't deal with merging nicely with that. Also in theory,
> could be solved by an extension, because despite merges not following
> renames, it does track them, and an extension could be written to look
> at all renamed files, and pull/merge changes from the original files in
> another repository, not a nice solution, but could be done as an
> extension in theory.

That's a good part of the way from writing your own revision control
system...  yeah it might be possible, but from what I've seen of
mercurial's extension API, it's not the kind of thing extensions are meant
for; it would involve quite a bit of dirty monkey-patching.

>> - Local branches don't share storage.  Since hg best practises encourage
>> you to keep many branches around, that means you'll soon have a few
>> gigabytes of arches and maps storage lying around.  Can't be solved by
>> extensions (it seems).
>>
> Actually from what I have heard, hg uses hardlinks to save disk space on
> local branches where available, haven't verified this myself. (It even
> apparently supports using hardlinks on windows if the windows system is
> using ntfs). I think the hardlinking is what makes a "hg clone" localy,
> take 5 seconds, as opposed the "hg init && hg pull" locally taking a
> minute. (See http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:rednaxela:scms for
> my timing of those two methods of locally coping in hg)

Up to a few revisions ago, you were encouraged to use hard links in bzr,
and there are some serious problems with that.  It's a bad hack.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/
technical:                    http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/