[crossfire] Proposal: Unified event system

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Sep 8 08:05:34 CDT 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:57:27PM -0600, Alex Schultz wrote:
>
>> These things that exist or are planned all use some event-type constructs:
>>
> [.snip.]
>
> This all sounds similiar to what we implemented in Crossfire+, where
> the plugin/extension (Perl) API was completly rewritten (mostly in Perl and C++).
> And it works like this (long mail ahead!):
> <snip>

Yes, it does sound similar to me as well, main differences being, that
it's not integrated with any one scripting language, is not intended to
completely replace the existing plugin system, is just as much for
internal server use (particularly for the refactoring I mentioned) as
plugin use, and not using C++ (IMHO C++ may encourage some good code
organization, however C code can be organized equally well with proper
planning).

> I hope this small guide through the plugin/extension system in Crossfire+ helps a bit
> (it maybe shows the way you don't want to go) when redesigning the plugin system for Crossfire.

As I noted above, I'm not intending on this to replace the plugin
system, but am separating the event system from the plugin system, and
making the event system more complete, and eventually extending the
plugin system to take advantage of it, while also using the event system
in some other parts of the server code than plugins.

Alex Schultz