[crossfire] CVS -> SVN conversion

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Sep 12 17:25:05 CDT 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
>> rebuilt lib files (Archetypes, images, etc):  These are the files I'm most
>> inclined to leave out of SVN.  The images tend to be quite big (slowing
>> down updates).  Plus, the updates are rather inconsistent - they are not
>> updated after every change is made to an arch, but rather when someone
>> remembers to or is some critical need.  Within SVN, we can set up lib/arch
>> to point to the actual arch tree, so an update of the server also gets
>> updated arches.  Plus, we already have all the tools in place to collect
>> them (the collect.pl script), so this doesn't add any additional software
>> dependencies.  If anything, this may actually help people use the updated
>> archs.
>>

> The only issue with that is that archs would now be part of the
> whole "crossfire" module. Thus changing an arch will make a new server
> version.
> Unless i'm wrong?

SVN doesn't have a concept of modules, instead it would simply be
directories containing each, but one can check out an individual
directory just as easily as if it was a module, and acts for most
intents as a module. Due to that, a the revision number would increment
as you say, regardless of if we leave the collected archetypes out or
not. IMHO that's not a bad thing, as much as simply the way things are.

> BTW, while we're at messing with stuff, shouldn't "crossfire" be renamed
> to "server"?

Or perhaps "cfserver" instead and make the client "cfclient"?

Alex Schultz