[crossfire] New crossfire todo list

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Sep 17 03:23:58 CDT 2006

  I've taken a bit of time to go through and make a new todo list of most things
that need to be done:

http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo_new

  There is still more stuff to add.  It's unclear at what complexity level
something should be there, vs a bug on the tracker or just go and do it, but
I'll think more about that later.

  I also see that as becoming the definitive TODO list, replacing the one in the
server directory which is always out of date, and doesn't really provide much in
the way of tracking.

  I've added comments to a fair number of the items there.  In no way does that
mean that is the definitive, or even correct, way of doing it.  I was mostly
just trying to gather the useful bits from past mails, etc, and put it there vs
sitting in my mailbox.

  I'd also suggest that it is generally better to actually pull out the useful
bits of the conversation and put them in the wiki vs referring to the mailing
list - too often, it may be a thread of 50 messages, with most not providing
much useful info - its a bit more handy to just be able to see the main points.

  A few notes/questions.  In looking through the TODO list in the server, some
questions about these points:

If a shop is placed in a random map (special map), the objects below the
shop wall stick around - normally not much a problem, unless it is placed
in a glory hole (treasure level), in which case coins are now beneath the wall.
(I seem to recall seeing a recent commit that may have fixed this?)

Change code so that if a player kills another player, he gets no exp
(I recall seeing discussions about this, but don't see anything in the settings
to suggest that this has been done?)

Allow possibility of one players magic not harming another player
(isn't this what the friendly fire option does, so this should be removed?)

Ability for stores to set different prices for goods
(The shopitems code only affects how much you can sell stuff for, not buy stuff,
correct?  If so, this is still valid)

- Change inscription - instead of looking at range field of the player,
   have the spell to be inscribed part of the inscription command, eg
   'inscribe scroll of identify'
(is this still something that needs to be done?)

- Generalize the code better - split between 'rules' and 'engine'
(see TODO for more info - wonder if we really want to go that route - the code
re-orgs as suggested is different from this, so maybe it just goes away as
something TODO?)