[crossfire] New crossfire todo list

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sun Sep 17 22:25:44 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
> This should probably be taken to the next step, with the client providing some
> nicer dialogue for this, eg, a menu item like 'inscribe scroll'.  The client
> would then present list of possible items (based on client type attribute) and
> list of spells, and player chooses.
>
>   Of course, the client still has to send the actual request to the server, and
> the server would still have to validate if it works.  Thinking about this, the
> logic for this on the server side could actually do most of the work with very
> little changes.  Eg, client does something like:
>
> C->S: inscribe <scroll tag> <spell name/identifier>
>
>   The server side command for that could find the object of scroll tag, save
> away current marked object, mark the scroll object, store away current ready
> spell, ready new spell, call inscribe code, and then put back the marked object
> and ready spell.
>
>   OTOH, would probably be better for the inscribe code to take the inscribe to
> object and spell object and just go from that, as that would be cleaner.
>
>   I am really thinking, however, that having the client handle most of the
> presentation of this is the better way to go.

Actually, I'd be inclined to do something such as a more general
skill-usage protocol. Something like:

C->S: client_use_skill <skill name/identifier> [ob1:<object tag>]
[ob2:<object tag>] [spell:<spell name/identifier>] [message:<text
length><text>]

Which could be used to make clientside menus for other skills and such
things.

Alex Schultz