[crossfire] stat loss and highly specialized players

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Sep 19 14:06:18 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet <raphael at ...> writes:

> As mentioned a few days ago, the default experience table is rather bad,
> especially near the higher levels because you only need to increase your
> exp by 1 or 2% to gain a level.  You always lose a reasonably fair amount
> of experience when you die (death penalty is 15% by default) but this
> translates to many levels in some cases.  The problem is in the mapping
> between experience and levels, not in the death penalty.
>
> I think that I440r__ had some valid points: levels should not be gained
> so easily (at least for the medium and high levels) so that the death
> penalty would always represent a reasonable amount of levels lost.
Agreed.

> By the way, I added a link to
>   http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo:exp_table

A few notes on changing the exp table: To me, the shape of the one on that page
you label "Progressive 12%" seems to have what I would consider to be the most
reasonable shape for the exp curve, however one question which doesn't seem to
have been considered yet, which I440r__ reminded me of by saying something to
the meaning of "I wouldn't mind the exp table being scaled up 4x", is do we
want the exp table to top out at the same exp value as currently like in the
proposed table? I personally think we might want to consider something
like "Progressive 15%" in scale, except have the last levels taper upwards like
in the "Progressive 12%" one, such that the level 115 exp would be a good bit
above what it is currently. I think I may look into making a proposed chart
some time.
Also, we may want to look at tweaking individual monster exp in some cases.
(there are probably many cases that are too generous or don't give enough)

Another thing, we may want to consider making exp loss for skills something
other than the plain percent. Overall should be by percent IMHO, however it may
be worth considering a system, which wouldn't hurt low levels skills of a high
level character as much (thus making the fact that non-combat skills are hard
to gain, and making death hurtfulfor them, less of an issue).

Alex Schultz