[crossfire] CVS -> SVN conversion

Raphaël Quinet raphael at gimp.org
Wed Sep 20 11:24:39 CDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:02:48 -0700, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
[...]
>   Yes.  In fact, I don't think anyone will be able to commit to CVS, as I've
> revoked everyones CVS access (seems only real way to prevent accidental
> checkins, etc)

Just a little note about that: those who used the developer access to
CVS (over SSH) will find that operations like "cvs update", "cvs status" or
"cvs diff" do not work anymore.  You have to change the CVS root and use the
anonymous access instead of the developer access if you still want to check
the status of your files or do a diff.

I discovered this problem because although I had updated most of my checked
out CVS trees last week, I saw yesterday that I forgot one of them.  I
wanted to do a "cvs update" or "cvs status" to check if I had any locally
modified files or if I could just delete this tree, but the commands failed
because the CVS access is now blocked for developers ("cvs update" fails
because it cannot create the required lock file, so both the read and write
access are effectively disabled).

In case anyone here runs into the same problem and is unable to check the
status of some old cvs trees, there is a simple solution: use a tool such
as "changecvsroot" or "changecvsroot.py" (Python version handling subtrees
in a better way) and replace
  :ext:username at crossfire.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/crossfire
by
  :pserver:anonymous at crossfire.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/crossfire
in one go for your whole tree.

This will now allow you to quickly check the status of your tree as an
anonymous user and be sure that you can delete it without losing any
locally modified files.

-Raphaël