[crossfire] msg/endmsg in maps/objects

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Sun Sep 24 22:38:00 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:

> On a broader scale, there is a problem with most of the msg/endmsg in
> maps/objects.  They are pre-formatted for a certain width.  If your text window
> is wider, it isn't terrible - it just doesn't use the full width.  If your
> window is a bit smaller, it gets really ugly, as it will display a full line,
> then perhaps 1 word, then another full line, etc.
>
> Ideally, I think most of the newlines from the msg/endmsg structures should be
> removed - the client is plenty smart enough to do proper wrapping.  There are
> also a few messages which should have the '[fixed]' tag added, since they are
> maps or diagrams, and just don't look right when printed with the proportional font.

I have been wondering about this for some time.  I agree the formatting needs
to go in general.  The formatting is not consistent and so one never knows how
to format or reformat content.  It is good to know that it is okay to string
the paragraphs on the same line.

"Most" newlines is right, considering that some should be left in order to
separate paragraphs and/or allow certain lines of text to be rendered on a
line by itself.

I'd ask also for some clarification of whether there is a common practice to
follow with respect to whitespace between sentences.  There is a variation in
that one space is used much of the time, but two spaces also exists.

How about blank lines?  Is this discouraged in order to consume less vertical
space, or is it seen to be acceptable for improving readability for longer
multi-paragraph output?

Is there an advantage to using leading whitespace acceptable to inset example
text?  I think so, but wonder what others might think.

Is there a document anywhere that might be used to help map editors know how
to write these messages?  If not, a wiki page might be in order.  These topics
are of special interest to me since I have an interest in working on grammatical,
spelling, and conversation improvements on maps as I play them.

Kevin