[crossfire] draw_ext_info/message update/redo

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:14:34 CDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
> The main advantages I see of the drawextinfo is this:
> - Support for the media tags (bold text, different fonts, etc).  I'd expect
> these to be infrequently used, as in general the global tag/attribute should be
> used.  But I think use in NPC messages giving clues what can be discussed with
> them by doing bold or underline would be very good (we should probalby decide
> what the form for that syntax highlighting it is, so that it is consistent
> accross all the maps/NPCs)

Or we could make a new tag like "[triggerword]".  The server then
could decide on it's formatting.  Also, if it is passed to the client,
the client could make the hilighted phrase clickable.

> - Instead of the server telling the client the color to use and the client
> blindly following it, the client now knows the type of messages.  So with some
> extra logic, I could decide that I want the level gain message to be in a
> specific font in bright green, even though the server says those should be in
> red.  It would also allow for easier filtering (if chat/say/shout have their own
> types, easier to have a conversation pane, etc).

Very useful in my opinion.  I really like the colors that "me chats: "
uses.  Though that could be considered a bug.

--
Andrew Fuchs