[crossfire] Graphics Standards (was Re: Getting more artists)

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:27:13 CDT 2007

The 2d graphics as they are now, seem to use a mix of standards.

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:52 -0500, Rick Tanner wrote:
> Common questions that seem to come up in regards to new graphics:
>
> * Color count or color palette information
>
> * What exactly is the "Crossfire Perspective" on graphics and how that
> can be replicated or duplicated; the psuedo isometric and not quite
> top-down  perspective on graphics

IIRC, something going straight up in real life, is drawn 1 unit left for
every 2 units up.  There are no vanishing points, so lines along an
objects width and depth are straight.
If we are going to move to a 2d tileset generated from 3d sources, a
standard template for everything to be placed into before its rendered
would be useful.  Also, the issue of how multipart images will be
rendered comes up.

> * Animation of graphics and howto animate them and name the necessary
> files for proper animation

Best to look at how everything is now.

IIRC, for mobiles we probably will have a few frames of a standard
movement animation for each, with the object rotated for each view
(every 45 degrees).

> * How to easily test new graphics via local server or client

How the tiles render?  We would have to make sure that everyone has the
same renderer, and the template.  Or actually placing them into the
game?  For that, look at how everyone does it now.

> * The 32x32 base size vs why not something larger?

Well, if everything is done in 3d, it would be easy to change the size
of the tiles later.