[crossfire] Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 15 09:40:22 CDT 2007

> So the best would be if the metaserver would only contain metalforge, so
> that users can't accidentally choose another server with more players
> or higher version or different server project.

No. I never suggested such "cultural closedness". I never said anything about the number of players, either, or a higher version number.

The problem is that in the current situation, the CF+ servers appear as higher versions of CF, which definitely is *not* the case. The user has *no* way to guess the "2.1" displayed refers to a different project.

You can keep trying dodging the issue by focusing the debate on details, but you'll not change the basical equation "Game named Crossfire2 > Game named Crossfire 1.10" in the mind of most (if not all) players, and especially the newcomers.

Really, this is getting tiresome. What's so hard to understand in that for most, "+" carries the idea of superiority/improvement, or that "2 > 1" ?

> Yes, the length of the 'comment' column is very limited. If that would
> be fixed we could also write the project name there and an explanation.

Yes, but it currently isn't the case. I don't think waiting for new releases of the clients to solve the issue is acceptable, when you could have done it in a few minutes.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I have more and more the feeling that you're playing dumb with us on this on purpose. I hope the future will prove me wrong on this.