[crossfire] Redo wc/ac/armor (+dodge)

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Fri Aug 3 15:51:13 CDT 2007

> > Remove this bonus from pretty much all armor currently in the game,
> > and/or perhaps add penalty for most of the armors.
> Keep ac of armour. But this value will reduce dodge.  So a plate mail
> with ac 5 will reduce the dodge value by 5.

So we'd have AC, armour (resist_physical) and dodge? Three things? Not
good, imo.

> Let us discuss a little bit more about a dodge skill.  It would have
> some advantages having dodge as a skill.  This way you're able to keep
> up with wc and also mages will be able to dodge without the need to
> train physical combat...

Agreed. Some incarnation of D&D has a skill "tumbling" which in essence
is the same as "dodge" here. It can be improved by the skill point
system. Perhaps we need that 10% XP pool, after all, but make it
allocatable ONLY to those skills which cannot advance in any other way,
perhaps? Or even make the 10% player-selectable?

Or simply let dodge gain XP from missing attacks? Like 1 XP per missed
damage? This needs a major change in the server: currently (I think) the
player will not even know whether the monster has tried to hit and missed
or not tried at all. And I think damage is computed only after hit is
scored, that would need to change as well.

One more thing: would dodge help evade things like magic missile? I think
not, since they are spells and supposedly "guided" (missile). It might be
ok to help evade comets, asteroids and other non-guided stuff (firebolt
comes to mind), though (not lightnings, they are supposed to be too fast).

> But wc will increase with a skill which may reach level 100, dexterity
> will stay around 30.
> You won't be able to dodge anything on higher levels.

True, unless we ramp up the maximum stats to 100 - not likely (I'd up
them to at least 40-50 range, because fireborns, for example, can easily
get Pow > 30 with very little equipment - their maximum Pow with all
equip should be more than that of other races.). Dodge needs to rise with
levels.

> > certianly races/classes may get a dodge bonus,
> This will make it easier on lower levels.  But at high level the problem
> will still exists.

This is the old problem with racial/class bonuses all again! We should
decide here and now that all racial/class bonuses need to either a) not
exist or b) improve with level, as fireborn ac and dragon
resist_physical do at the moment. (This does no apply to such things as
fireborns' resist_fire +100 or undeads' disease immunity or even
fireborns' extra "fingers" - just numerical bonuses (except those that
are already maximal).)

> That forces mages to learn physical combat to avoid being killed on
> higher levels.

Or avoid melee and missiles - like in many pen&paper rpgs. Though it is
sometimes pretty difficult in CF.

> Sounds reasonable.  But than we need to increase the enchanting level.
> A maximum armour enchanting up to +4 won't have such a big impact than
> ac +4.  One ac point is worth a 5% chance (due to the d20).

True.

> And will it take effect on all resistances or just physical?

Why would it? Just AC is being altered and it never affected any other
resistances anyway. BUT I'd alter the alchemy/jewellery/etc as per one of
my earlier posts and that would enable you to alter the other resistances
of items as well.

Perhaps it might also be nice to limit the total sum of bonuses an item
can give by something else than jeweller/etc level as well: iron rings
might be able to give less bonuses than mithril rings?

> Do we want to stay with the d20 based system?  It allows us just 5%
> steps.  We don't need to implement pen & paper systems.

I can only see one problem with 5% steps: it means 5% of the attacks hit
no matter what. This might be considered unrealisticly high. But since
beings with AC 100 are pretty tough anyway, they'd probably have so good
resist_physical as well that those who should not realistically be able
to hit them will not do any damage even when they hit.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|