[crossfire] Gtk2 Libglade client is argely playable now.

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 15 20:04:48 CDT 2007

>   To fix the metaserver2 hanging bug, I used the libglade version.

Thanks.

>   Quick notes/thoughts:
>
> configure.in, line 470 - think you mean 'test' not 'text'.  Not sure why that
> was added for the glade version

That was an unintentional commit, however, the reason it is there is because
while struggling to learn autoconf, I found out about autoscan, and autoscan
reports that configure.in is missing many checks.  In fact, it has been well
over a year since I have been able to build locally with working sound, yet
the Mandriva compiled 1.9.1 client works with sound -- so configure.in or some
thing is just not helping someone like me build with all features successfully,
and I have not taken the time yet to try to figure out more than examining the
config.log and trying to add packages to get rid of the "no" entries.  I thought
to add in to configure.in autoscan's recommendations, but rethought it might
be a bit presumptuous to assume I should do that, and only added the sound
stuff for myself.   It was bad that I didn't catch that in the diff analysis I did
before the commit.  I'll back it out, but thanks for pointing out the typo.

> Client itself:  If unable to load the glade file, it should probably just print
> the error and exit - with it trying to run, it doesn't get very far before it
> crashes anyway, but it spews lots of messages before it does so, so one can't
> easily see what one did wrong.

Good thought.  I hadn't gotten that far.

> As a note, make install doesn't seem to install
> the glade file, so extra steps are needed to get something that works here.

Yes, I already had that on my agenda as stated earlier in the thread.

> It might also be nice to be able to specify the glade file on the command line,
> since it would seem that with the client, being able to point to different glade
> files easily/quickly would be desirable.

Great idea.  It hadn't occurred to me, but would be faster to implement than
reworking config.c, so could get the libglade client more presentable faster
while the more complicated changes are being worked on.