[crossfire] gtk-v2/src/metaserver.c revision 6801 (metaserver2 mods)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Aug 15 23:46:05 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>   I probably wouldn't worry about that much right now - 1.x and trunk are
>> kept pretty closely in sync - at some point, that metaserver2 code is going
>> to get merged down into the 1.x branch, so that bug in the trunk needs to
>> get fixed, but I think all new/active development should be done on the
>> trunk and not 1.x (otherwise you may find yourself in the reverse situation
>> down the road - some new feature unique to 2.0 (trunk) is added, and you
>> now need to rebase/merge up to that)
>
> For client, couldn't we just forget branch?
>
> AFAIK both trunk and branch are almost the same, and trunk client works fine,
> so I see no reason really to keep both.

  That is the case right now, but may not be.

  What I forsee at some point is various update to the protocol level in the
trunk server and client - those changes may not be really stable (alteration
needed whatever) and thus are not really good to be in one area.  And I can also
see some changes made to the server/client/protocol that would only exist in the
2.0 branch.

  It was also decided at the same of setting this up, that two versions for all
the areas should be done.  One could probably make a stronger case that trunk vs
branch of maps doesn't make a lot of sense, but maintaining two versions really
isn't that difficult, especially if at some point (which sounds likely) those
two versions drift apart.