[crossfire] Vote: Next major project

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 21 03:42:03 CDT 2007

> > L) NPC chat right now really isn't very good.
> *sigh*
>
> From the header of maps/python/CFDialog.py:

<snip>

> See also http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/cfdialog
>
> It is always refreshing to see how one's work is appreciated :).

From the documentation indicated, I would not easily know how to make
a map that uses this since I do not know squat about using python
scripts in maps.  The code documentation and wiki documentation is too
light, and could show an example of an NPC definition that uses the
script example.  It would be nice not to have to go digging through
other documents to find out how to do python scripting in general
just to get started.  If that were the case, I'd probably make use of
what I did know (even if that is only a lazy slob's excuse).  It would
be better to show a complete example, and reference the docs that
discuss python scripting as it relates to map editing as a way
of encouraging the reader to broaden their understanding of the
available tool set.

The feature should also get mention in the server documents where NPC
conversations are discussed.

Some ideas:

  server/*/doc/Developers:

  - Section 'I. NPC's Speak out' in file "objects".
  - Item #5 in the suggestion section of the "mapguide"
  - Mention in "map.dox" and/or "map-technical".

I am not suggesting shotgun style documentation, but I am suggesting an
appropriate amount of cross-linking of information so that map writing will
actually realize the benefits of these features.  Presently I think it is
difficult for a map developer to know how to use the facility.

With some mention, cross-linking, and a better example, more than likely
the author's work _will_ be far better appreciated, and maybe even used.

Kevin Bulgrien