[crossfire] Vote: Next major project

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Aug 22 15:56:29 CDT 2007

> The feature should also get mention in the server documents where NPC
> conversations are discussed.
>
> Some ideas:
>
>   server/*/doc/Developers:
>
>   - Section 'I. NPC's Speak out' in file "objects".
>   - Item #5 in the suggestion section of the "mapguide"
>   - Mention in "map.dox" and/or "map-technical".

Fix it, then?

> I am not suggesting shotgun style documentation, but I am suggesting an
> appropriate amount of cross-linking of information so that map writing will
> actually realize the benefits of these features.  Presently I think it is
> difficult for a map developer to know how to use the facility.

Your ideas to improve the documentation are welcome.

> With some mention, cross-linking, and a better example, more than likely
> the author's work _will_ be far better appreciated, and maybe even used.

Feel free to expand the wiki, that's what it is for.

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to write doc (that no one actually
reads most of the time)? How long it takes to correctly cross-link between
documents? And just have people say "I can't find" when they obviously didn't
even bother to search?

Feedback on the result is appreciated, but people are expected to actually try
to look first, to dig slightly (and searching is digging slightly, IMO).
People wanting to write maps can also ask on the list, on the forum, on the
wiki, on irc, ingame.

I'll also restate what I said some time ago: I volunteer to write Python
scripts for people provided they specify exactly what they really want and
they *ACTUALLY* *NEED* it *NOW* (I'd fed up with writing stuff no one ever
uses just because "I'd be nice to have xxx").

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]