[crossfire] combat notes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Dec 11 02:13:57 CST 2007

  So I did some more tweaks.

  I made a quick change so that some of the generators only make 5 monsters and
then disappear (I'll have to commit that change) works pretty good - I didn't
try many places, but in the few I did, that is enough to bulk up the monsters in
the area to respectable level.

  I also have not reduced the exp for generators.  So from a pure standpoint, if
you're tough enough, you'll get more exp by rushing in and killing the
generators than waiting for all the monsters to pop out.  But this is on a time
basis - a generator may be worth 2-3 times as much exp as the monsters it
produce - the main point is that you can kill a generator in about the same time
as it takes to kill a monster, so if you can get to them, you're exp gain rate
is faster.

  By them disappearing when they are used up, it removes some exp source from
the game.  I think that is a good improvement - you can't camp out killing
monsters forever, and if the monster is a good challenge, eventually you can
kill all of them and make it to the next room.

  So I'm tempted to make that a default.  IMO, making that change is really only
effective if it becomes the default for archetypes, as going through all the
maps by hand and fixing it would be very time consuming.  OTOH, some maps
certainly would need to get adjusted manually - things like training centers
which are supposed to have unlimited monsters.