[crossfire] combat notes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Dec 13 01:49:06 CST 2007

  To some extent, the rebalancing of monsters may eliminate the need for
training centers.

  One thing I noticed when going through and fixing up the monsters is that the
exp rewards for monsters were all over the place.  One monster may be worth a
lot, and another, of similar difficulty, worth just a fraction of that other one.

  This certainly lead to there being some monsters which are good to kill for
exp, and others which were not so good.  I have a feeling that the training
centers for the most part took monsters on the high end of exp reward.

  With the monsters better balanced, it should be easier to find monsters of
appropriate challenge and reward in the various maps.

  While I agree the ecology of training centers probably do not make much sense,
there is an overall lack of ecology in game.  Where is all that iron for weapons
coming from (there really are not any iron mines).  How do the 50 orcs live in
the newbie tower with no food?  Why do maps reset in the first place?

  I have no problems changing things so they do make sense, but we do have to
keep in mind that crossfire is a game, and not a whole work simulation, so some
things probably do not make sense.