[crossfire] New manhole archetype WIP (accepting help)

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 30 22:03:18 CST 2007

> > I have committed a work-in-progress archetype for a multi-tile manhole.
> > To test the animation, and as a starter, the manhole is implemented as
> > a HOLE (object type 94) so that I could learn how to do animations and
> > could work off of a working example.
> >
> > The archetype is a 64 x 64 bit graphic.  I have also include a .xcf
> > source file that is layered and has even more elements to produce
> > additional manholes once the animation problem is able to be
> > worked around.
> >
> > My archetypes are based on arch/trunk/connect/Hole/pit.arc, but I had
> > to mangle the manhole_closed_1 archetype to get a working animation.
> >
> > This is all documented in arch/trunk/dev/wip/manhole/README, and a test
> > case is set up as arch/trunk/dev/wip/manhole/world_105_115.patch.
> >
> > It appears I may be the first to try creating a multi-tile HOLE, and
> > possibly the first to try to create any multi-tile connected animation.
> >
> > I could use some help determining if I have borked the .arc file in some
> > way, or if perhaps the system just does not support such use of multi-
> > tile graphics in animations.  Any takers?
>
> Ryo pointed out I didn't actually say the animation did not work properly.
>
> Say the anim is set up like this:
>
> anim
> manhole.111
> manhole.112
> manhole.113
> manhole.114
> mina
>
> Then the only case where animation occurs is for the normally closed case
> where the head face starts as manhole.114.
>
> One would think that the non- head pieces should also be set to manhole.114
> so that they form a correct picture, but when this is done, no animation is
> possible.  The non-head pieces must be set to manhole.111 for the animation
> to work.  Since the non-head pieces do not match the head, however, the
> 64 x 64 bit graphic is incorrect.
>
> Also, say the head and hole are at x,y, when in the configuration where the
> animation works, the head, and animated manhole, is displayed at at x-1,y-1
> though the hole function still operates at x,y.  In cases where the
> animation does not work, the hole function and the manhole are both at x,y.
>
> I cannot seem to get the animation to work at all for the normally open
> case where the head is manhole.111.
>
> The test case in SVN does show both a functional normally closed hole with
> an incorrect animation, and a functional normally open hole with no working
> animation.

If non-head tiles are blank.111, or have no face specified, the
animation works perfectly for both normally-open and normally-closed arches,
but in-game, the manhole is still not aligned with the hole function, and,
Gridarta's display is not in agreement with how the game renders the manhole,
but, I'd say it's not Gridarta that's wrong.

I might add that I have been testing with crossfire-client-gtk2
2.0-dev-r8063, but crossfire-client-gtk 2.0-dev-r8063M, gcfclient 1.9.1 and
gcfclient 1.10.0-r6738 all have the same issues.

Kevin