[crossfire] House sizes

Aaron Baugher aaron at baugher.biz
Wed Feb 14 18:26:53 CST 2007

Alex Schultz <alex_sch at telus.net> writes:

> I'm thinking, that for 2.0 it may be desirable to use a separate
> port for media (images anyway) transfer, and perhaps we could even
> consider http for that part (though I'd say that if we wanted to use
> http, we'd want to optimize things by using cgi and GET parameters,
> or perhaps a micro-http-server specialized for serving cf images via
> http (after all, non-standard-complient http can be very simple ;P))

If all it needs to do is serve images, publicfile is extremely
lightweight and fast and could do that fine.  Or as you say, it'd be
easy enough to roll something new with as little overhead as possible.

> Another thought is, do we want to toss the 'classic' tileset? On that
> same note, would it be worth just plain removing tileset support in
> order to simplify things?

I'm working on a script to convert all the tiled images to combined
images.  (I probably would have them all done by now if I'd just done
them manually and forgotten the script. :-)) Once I'm done with that,
there won't be any more tiled images to support, unless someone does
new ones, and that could be deprecated -- just require that all new
images must be full images.

It seems like a waste to throw away all those classic images, but I
guess they wouldn't be gone, just out of the distribution.  Maybe some
could be re-used for other archetypes.

--
Aaron -- http://aaron.baugher.biz/