[crossfire] Crossfire bots

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jan 21 23:52:31 CST 2007

Alex Schultz wrote:
> Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
>> Concerning feature request "Newbie Bot - help those noobs :)"
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=765770&group_id=13833&atid=363833
>>
>> is there such a bot currently?
>>
>> I know of 2 bots scripts at least, Seer and Zebulon. Could they be adapted to
>> such a request?
>> (this request, at least of a bot giving advice, is quite interesting imo)
>>
> Personally, I think this could be better implemented as a server-side
> script than a bot, however the base concept seems interesting.

  Yes - doing it as a bot would seem pretty hard, as what is mentioned in the
bug report are some things that it may be harder for the bot to identify.

>> Of course, we could make the newbie area more mandatory, too :)
> IMHO also a good idea and perhaps even somewhat necessary.

  As I mentioned, that would seem like a good idea.

  Some other random ideas:
- Give all character 5 or so food to start out with so they will have a while
before they need to get some more.
- Maybe give them so low power (like 10 hp) healing potions
- Looking at the 2 beginner maps, they don't go over some of the more basic
points of the game, as mention in the tracker item:
   - nothing about eating food (and the fact that monster remains can typically
be eaten also
   - Nothing at all about using shops.  A very small shop, with perhaps a basic
detect curse/detect magic/identify altar on the map, with some cursed/magic
items on that map for them to use/try out (maybe make those altars very cheap,
but make this map a 1 way journey - once you exit, you can't get back)
   - Maybe some mention about chat/shout and the etiquette on using the
   - Not sure if explicitly mentioned in any of the maps, but the fact that just
standing around will regain hp/sp

  It seems the beginner maps otherwise cover basic of attack, traps, spells, so
those points are covered.