[crossfire] class guild map (was: reorganizing the entire world)

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Mon Jul 9 00:38:23 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 07:57:42PM +0200, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> What about a "balancing" mechanism, for stats and skills?
>
> A player's skill would be defined by the relative exp (or whatever) of
> the considered skill.
>
> Example: I'm level 30, with level 25 sorcery, level 5 one handed weapon,
> and other non combat skills. My "effective" sorcery level would be 25 *
> 30 / ( 25 + 5) so 30, my effective one handed weapon level is 5 * 30 / (
> 25 + 5 ) so 5.  Now if I become level 10 one handed weapon, my level
> becomes 21 (that is 25 * 30 / ( 25 + 10 )) sorcery , and 8 (10 * 30 /
> 35) one handed weapon.
>
> If we keep the max 110 level cap, you can only effectively max one
> skill. If you gain exp in another (combat) skill, you "decrease" in this
> skill.

Having a summoner who has charmed everything all the days for the entire
life; being able to charm "eternal dragon" (level 110).  Now this summoner
charmed those eternal dragons, is surrounded by their corpses, and hitting
"use_skill sense magic; use_skill woodsman".  This lets this summoner jump
up a few levels in those both skills preventing him to ever charm an
eternal dragon again.

Years of pratice vanished in a few seconds.  Much more, never ever being
able to reach this grade again.  I don't like this implementation, which
doesn't mean that I don't like the idea.  It just has to be more balanced
than this.

> Thus you effectively become what you play. The "reducing" could be seen
> as "you don't train enough, so you kind of lose some stuff".

What about reducing the xp by 5% of each skill which wasn't used for a
long time?  To make it easy, the "long time" is defined as the time
between two overall levels.  Each skill you haven't used until you reach
the next level will be decreased by 5%.

Or make increasing steps, first level gain without using the skill will
reduce this skill by 1%, a second level gain in series without using the
skill will reduce it by 2%, ...

> This could also be true for stats: if you have ~25 everywhere, you are
> kind of median. If you have 30 str and ~20 to other stats, you have a
> big str bonus.  If you are 30 str and pow and ~20 elsewhere, you have a
> nice str/pow bonus, but less than 30 pow alone.

A smart lady won't become dump just because she's wearing a nice evening
dress, using some make-up and had a hair-do.  In your system her int value
will drop because the cha value rised.  I don't like that at all.

If you like to decrease stats, than you need to link stats to skills.  And
each stat you haven't used will drop.  A body builder who stops injecting
anabolic steroids will drop in dex (lack of handling the injection). ;)

No, stops training will make him drop in str.  But I don't think that this
is worth linking skills to stats to make the stats dropping.

Maybe if you like to remove stat potions and let stats increase which were
used more often.  But this will result into having all characters with cha
of 1; or how often do you use bargaining, singing and oratory in relation
to your combat and magic skills? :o)

They're heros helping weak people against dragons and other threats.  Let
them look nice. ;)

Just reduce the speed of stat increases. A level 1 player shouldn't be
able to max out all stats just because a high level character collected a
few hundred stat potions and giving away a few of them...

    Jürgen