[crossfire] Priority feature list

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Jul 17 01:00:35 CDT 2007

  As per recent e-mail and irc discussions, we need to figure out what the
priority things to work on in for the 2.0 release are.

  There is a very long TODO list at
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo_new which may give some people
starting point.  There is http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo which has
some overlap.

  The basic idea is what gets chosen gets a concerted effort by hopefully
several developers to finish, and then we work on something else (next top
priority).  It doesn't necessarily mean that something not voted on won't get
done - it just means that it will get done later vs sooner.

  Another principle behind this is that whatever is decided on gets lots of
attention until is fully done.  If we take an example fix/revamp sound - it
doesn't mean we make protocol and client changes and call it done - it also
means that all the archetypes get updated as appropriate, as well as the maps
for that matter, so that the task is called complete when there really isn't
anything more to do.

  The voting for features will be open to all members of crossfire community
(players + developers), but votes may be weighed in different ways.

  What I'm looking for right now is a list of 5-10 things to put out in the
first vote.  Ideally, these should be things that take some considerable effort
- if it is something that someone can complete in 1 hour, doesn't make a lot of
sense to spend the effort voting on it, etc, as that might take more time than
making the change.  That said, the effort for a fair number of things may be
unknown, so if not sure, feel free to include them in this list - if nothing
else, it may provide a priority list for minor things.