[crossfire] good http library for new metaserver?

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Jul 17 11:48:19 CDT 2007

Hello.

>   There is also libwww.  I'm sure there are others.
>
>   So this is really just a question to see what is out there.

Here is my checklist for that:
* works under Linux, Windows, Mac (ok, no Mac client for now, but well, it'll
come some day). The more portable, the better
* can do other things than http. There have been talks about ftp transfers for
eg music. Since we're deciding on a library for http, let's decide for a
library for everything :)

>   I'd also suggest this handling if the library is missing:
>
> For the server, this is OK, unless the user has turned on the metaserver
> notification setting.  If that is set, then program terminates with error -
> either install the library, or turn of metaserver notification.

I'd require the library unless a configure flag is set. It's easier to build
with library and not use than don't build and need to rebuild later :)

> For client, maybe shouldn't be a fatal error?  Or maybe it is a fatal error
> unless something is passed into configure (configure --no-metaserver or
> something) - it would seem that for most people, this is pretty core
> functionality, but there could be some that don't need it (own server,
> inside company firewalls, whatever)

Then you need to handle this case where there is no metaserver listing. And
previous argument applies :)
Again, I think the library is mandatory, and requires a --no-metaserver flag
to bypass.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref