[crossfire] xp gaining

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Fri Jul 27 14:42:59 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 09:42:00PM +0300, Juha Jäykkä wrote:
> >   the other problem with this, and the other idea of limiting exp
> > gain based on overall level, is that it really means you need
> > balance your skill usage as you advance your character.
>
> It does not have to be overall level, it could equally well be the
> highest skill level as well.

That's a good idea, it will ease this problem a lot.  Indeed, this is a
very nice solution. :)

> Or, when killing monsters, it could even be the skill you use to kill
> it (although then we again will have high level characters in low
> level maps when they start a new skill).

That one I don't like.  It depends on the goals we like to reach.  It's
still an option.  This one will make it easier to reach high levels for
each skill which will obviate the idea of having more distinctions
between classes...

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:18:45PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
>   To come up with a new high level area, you probably need around 50
> maps - that is a lot of work - especially if you want good maps, and
> not just things with scaled up monster and no plot.

If we reorganize the entire world, we can recycle a lot of the maps and
adjust the monster levels and add a new plot.  I think that's something
I could do, too. ;)

> New items can be pretty easy - we'd need to extra work for spell
> research, but for new item to be created via players, that is really
> just adding some new formula - figuring out a good formula may not be
> easy, but one could probably come up with 5 new formula in the time it
> takes to do a map.

I would write a script to figure out which treasure is how likely to be
found.  Out of this we can develop formulas which reflects the relative
frequency of items.

Common things should be out of common ingredients.  Having formulas
which needs rare stuff to create low power items are discouraging.

But redoing alchemy is nothing I see for CF2.  We have to set priorities
and CF2 should have the priority on newbies to attract more players.

>   Just a note on this - I do believe that as part of a revamp, it
> should be possible to get to high level in every skill.

I hope you don't mean a high level in every skill of the same character.
We won't create a lot of distinctions between classes this way...

If you mean for skills of your class, yes, I totally agree.

> Right now, for some skills, there is basically some practical limit

I would say "sense curse" is the hardest skill to level up.  Same for
"lockpicking", "bargaining" and "throwing".  "Disarm traps" and "find
traps" are also very hard to level up.

The easiest skill ever is "inscription".  This needs to be fixed.  For
example make pens consume charges.  And reduce the xp gain.  It's
hilarious to reach level 10 in seconds via inscription.

> Those things need to be rebalanced

I fully agree.

> - it should be something like 20 books at current level equals a level
> in literacy (which means level 100 literacy would be 2000 books,
> presuming they are all of the appropriate level).  That is actually a
> lot of books if you think about it.

You mean I just need to read 20 books to reach level 100 from level 99?
Nope, I don't like that rate...

Each skill should take similar time to develop.  And killing 20 monsters
won't bring you from level 99 to 100, right?

>   That said, the ability to shuffle some experience gives a way to get
> exp in harder to advance skills

As I said, I don't like this xp pool.  We should create a better concept
to get xp in every skill.

> In a sense, it is sort of like the AD&Dv3 idea of skill points you get
> each level.

That's simplifying skill development because of the pen & paper nature
of AD&D.  It's just not appropriate for a computer RPG.

And you'll hardly get class distinctions this way.

    Jürgen