[crossfire] GTK2-v2 Client new layout defined

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 07:13:37 CDT 2007

A discussion we had a while ago when the v2 client first appeared:

Many laptops on the market today aren't able to do more than 1024x768,
and that isn't about to change any time soon.

I *normally* play on my PC, but if I ever became unable to play on the
laptop, I would be very disappointed.

Generally, your layout reminds me of the v1 client, which makes me ask:
if you're going to have 3 columns, why not put the map in the middle?

Now, on the subject of layouts:

I think it would be a neat idea if the v2 client used libglade, and
allowed the user to choose a layout file in the preferences dialogue.
Yeah, that would probably require a client restart to take effect, and
for best results we should include thumbnail screenshots with the glade
files and find a way to display them in preferences; but overall it
shouldn't be too hard, and if people are serious about writing different
layouts, it might be worth it.

Of course, my preference would be for using a widget similar to the
Gimp's dockable panes, so an user can change the layout at runtime.  But
I looked around and found no such widget in a library format.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
personal:                    http://lalo.hystericalraisins.net/