[crossfire] Documentation / handbook / playbook / spoilers

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jun 9 17:16:29 CDT 2007

Hello.

The doc subdirectory (apart hopefully Developers) is a slight mess, with many
many non working or obsolete things.

Currently, there following documentations are defined:
* spoiler book
* player book
* spell list
* handbook

The generation is broken for many things, so we should either fix or remove :)
Ideally, we should almost be able to generate the spoilers at
http://crossfire.real-time.com/spoiler/index.html
And probably some handbooks or guides. Maybe not everything, but probably
things that depend on server settings/archetypes/artifacts.

I'd be partisan to fix, because (game) documentation is important.

Here are different things that can be generated automatically:
* standard item list (monsters, artifacts, alchemy formulae, ...)
* basically, anything that can be extracted, from server or maps (mapper could
list items in the maps themselves if needed - of course, that would
documentation would be for "standard" maps)

Here are things we can't generate automatically:
* advice
* all texts, except those parts of items
* document structure

Also, there is the question of formats. We have broken support for html
and .tex / .ps.
IMO, either html or .pdf/.ps are fine.

What do you think?

Nicolas