[crossfire] Vertical map-tiling

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 13 06:55:55 CDT 2007

Did not post for long, but i was one of the devs who played along with
this kind of thing:

1) There was a 'top' and 'bottom' map for each map, (tiles[4] and
tiles[5]), this part is easy to do. Even the handling of empty space
that would allow you to see ground bottom. Even handling loops in
perspective was easy.

I tried a few ways to implement this. Here are some highlight on why
this wasn't done

1) to give correct perspective, client must shift bottom-right rendering
of 'below' map, even more for below-below, etc. It's impossible to do it
properly using the current used pseudo perspective, especially to match
ground of level x+1 to walls of level X. The layering system used at
that time made it even more difficult.

2) there is a problem with giant monster, they look strange in this
laying out.

3) There was the technical problem of the falling and jump/levitate
spell to handle (can levitate or fly allow you to go higher of one level
above map? how?)

4) There was the general problem of line of sight. Can a player/monster
see someone on on level higher if he is distant engouh?

5) There was the problem of aiming monsters / player below you using you
spell? (Can be forbidden but doens't look natural)

To make it short, i tried several thing, i always got stucked by point
(1). Current wall displays does not stack properly in crossfire with the
tiles system. Maybe that now there are more than 3 layers visible to
client, we could mark some layers as needing shifting, then we could
solve problem. I would recommand first your draw 2 levels in editor,
then you use gimp or alike to see how client should stack them. Be aware
anyway that you can't do this without altering map client protocol.

PS: Hello everyone.

En l'instant précis du 10/06/07 18:48, Andrew Fuchs s'exprimait en ces
termes: