[crossfire] reorganizing the entire world

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Mon Jun 18 15:38:55 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:48:29AM +0100, Brendan Lally wrote:
> The way I had thought of this before was in terms of a 'home town',
> that being the place where a character would store most of their
> items, and set out to quest from.

Having a central city as a base for the players has some advantages.
Especially as a meeting place for players.

> navar had a worse apartment than scorn, with less useful portals
> scorn had plenty of high level maps easily accessible.
> Brest had a portal leading directly there from scorn, making the approach
> quest meaningless (I don't see any changes to scorn apartment, suggesting
> this is still the case)

The apartments should have better connected portals, I agree. This navar
apartment is just useless.

> Define the 3 major home cities (allow others, but assume the natural
> progression of scorn->navar->brest)

I wouldn't fix it to three, but it's always extendable. ;)

> in each city, have portals which go back but not forwards, (so navar
> to scorn, but not scorn to navar).

This will help to connect the apartments. And word of recall will always
take you back. It gives you a real benefit to move to the next region,
because you're able to come back easily.

So it's not that important to have a central place. Having the home in
the highest accessible region always offers quick travels back to lower
level ones.

> Move some of the very high level maps from scorn and its nearby cities
> to navar (or brest) - for example, the entrance to pupland would
> probably move.

As the subject says, I would reorganize it all. Not just a few maps,
really every map which won't fit into the region for the specified
levels.

> Make the other apartments available at least as good as the one in
> scorn (changing the portal layout probably achieves most of that
> anyway).

Make the apartments better and better, the higher the region become.

> Move the guild hall purchasing place to Brest.

Why just one guild hall and why should every guild looks like the same?
Having a guild in a low level region don't need the same features as a
guild in a higher level region.

> So in this case then, a low level character could go straight to navar
> (they could try to go to brest and get killed en route as well....),
> but they would find there wouldn't be much to interest them, that they
> couldn't afford an apartment, and they would probably leave to go back
> to scorn for a bit.

Make the travel to higher level regions dangerous, so low level players
aren't able to reach them anyway. And if they arrive, they won't find a
single map they could survive in.

But I still think a storyline which give you access to higher level
regions only after you solved some key quests of the former area is
better. This will prevent players from leveling up at raffle without
getting any good stuff nor having even the knowlegde where to get it.

Having a storyline which leads the player through all the fine maps to
equip the character step by step is much more fun than begging for good
items from high level characters.

And the quest rewards should take care of the race and class. Being a
fireborn and getting a girdle of damage is just useless; getting a good
weapon as a monk, too.

    Jürgen