[crossfire] map design guideline (was: Summary)

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Sun Jun 24 05:29:04 CDT 2007

> So, no one has any opinion on what was said on the thread?

Ok, if you insist...

My opinion is that regardless of the design guidelines, Crossfire maps will stay at best "average", because the fighting/damage system used forces fast and brutal combat. This is perfectly suitable with the original concept of a "hack'n'slash" game - but I do not think it fits the role of a more RPG-oriented game. Neither does it with the idea of multiplayer gaming.

There is also the content problem, of course: too few content written, and fewer actually used in maps.

> No one cares?

I stopped caring after it was obvious that better content was not map-making's top priority.

> No one has any idea?

Write content. Use what's already written. Change the pace of combat to give a meaning to multiplaying. Then, maybe it would be time to set some design rules for maps.

> No one agrees? No one rejects? What do you people on the list expect of Crossfire?

I expect it to focus less on code, and more on everything else. It doesn't seem to be the case.

> Are you ready to help?

For teamwork ? Sure. For single-handed development, no.

> Or is the project so dead no one contributes in any way?

A better question would be to ask why people don't contribute more.