[crossfire] reorganizing the entire world

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Jun 27 12:31:32 CDT 2007

Hello.

> After character generation, you have to chose your class. As soon as you
> have chosen your class, you won't enter "start/Nexus", but the guild of
> that class.

Sounds interesting, but isn't the race meaningful also, especially
for "special" races like wraith, dragon, fireborn?

> For more class like role playing, the guild is able to ostracize players
> by checking for example if a sorcerer uses close combat skills instead
> of magic. If the sum of the close combat skills exceed the sum of magic
> skills by a defined limit (e.g. > 10%) the sorcerer isn't allowed to
> enter the guild. This also means this sorcerer won't get additional high
> level spells because they are rewards from the guild master for solving
> quests.
>
> It's also possible that you change the class. For example a warrior
> using a lot of magic skills will be ostracized by the warrior guild and
> may be accepted by the warlock guild.

The question I have is what the purpose of the guild would be, game-wise. Have
players of the same race/class get together? Point to maps to solve?
I think quite many guilds can coexist: race-based guilds, class-based (whether
start class or matching how you play) guilds, free guilds (like we have now),
things like that. So a player could be a member of the cooking guild because
she has enough exp, and also a member of the Smoking Cauldron guild.

> The vision is, to have chained quests leading through all the maps. You
> don't need to visit every single map, because some of them could be part
> of a side quest. But you should be able see them all by just following
> the storyline.

But then when you reach the "last" map, do you get a special treasure? A
reward?
Rather than "chained" quests, I'd have a "graph of quests". Quests you can do
anytime, quests you can't do before you do another one, quests you can't do
if you did another one, and such.

> And the famous hack and slay random maps could become a quest reward,
> too. For example, you solved a quest and the reward is a key (for
> unlimited use) to a hack and slay random map. Those random maps can be
> used to level up the character to be able to solve harder quests or to
> become ready for the next [harder] region.

As Mark pointed, you should still be able to go to random maps by yourself.
I think that all maps should be reachable by all players, with some justified
exceptions. Comes to mind: a Valriel priest shouldn't go kill Valriel's
Ascended Avater, or pay a big price for that (heretic!). Maybe undead can't
enter Navar (because in the past there was an invasion of undead which was
barely contained?). Things like that :)

> What do you think? And yes, this changes are substantial which makes it
> necessary to abandon old characters and start from scratch.

Not necessarily. Most of what you suggest doesn't change anything to the
existing skill system, but merely adds guild checks - unless I'm getting
something wrong ^_-

Thanks for helping the brainstorming :)

Nicolas
--