[crossfire] [Crossfire-cvs] SF.net SVN: crossfire: [5665] maps/tags/1.10/

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Mar 6 12:10:03 CST 2007

>   Now to turn this more constructive, I think the real question is:  How
> often should we be doing releases?  Every month?  Every 3 months?
> Somewhere in between?
>
>   I think anything more frequent then every month (save for critical
> builds/to fix something DOA) doesn't make much sense, as I don't think the
> 1.x branch is changing fast enough.
>
>   I also think that less than every 3 months is too long a gap - just
> looking at the client, there were lots of things changed since the last
> release, such that if there were 3 releases in that time period, each would
> still have enough changes to be compelling.

I think one major issue is how long it takes to make a release.
For instance, I know there are some things to do for Windows server/client
(and I will write that down somewhere!), but I don't know how long it takes.

IMO, what we should do is:
* automatize to the maximum the release process. This can include writing sh
scripts for Linux, scripts for Windows, and so on. [as a side note, I'm
thinking of doing a small C program for Windows to replace the Perl script
for maps, and make the build process more easy, ie change version numbers and
such. C because Perl isn't needed, apart for arch collecting which i can do
on my linux box)
* time how much time a release takes
* decide after we automate to the maximum :)

I would aim for something like a release every 2 months. It may appear short,
but if release process is automated well we don't take much time to release.
It would enable us to have many tests and such.

Note that we should probably do trunk releases too, so people get to test it.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref
de l'aléatoire !]